• Sasha Struthers

AB 3088 Extended Through June 30, 2021- Rent Forgiveness Finally Happened, Sorta




California is pulling out its emergency powers again. The provisions of AB 3088 in which tenants are to pay 25% of rent for September 2020 through January 2021 is now extended through June 30, 2021. While still being negotiated, below is what I anticipate is going to be the final deal.


Of course- there are always strings attached! The extension of AB 3088's protections came as the result of California receiving $2.6 billion in Federal aid specifically for COVID-19 delinquent rent. California is going to establish a program to pay landlords directly the stimulus funds. The catch- Landlords are essentially forced to accept 80% of the rent that has accumulated between March 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021 from the government stimulus funds in exchange for forgiving the remaining 20% and cannot file an unlawful detainer based on such. This is the rent forgiveness we all saw coming.


FURTHER, if landlords don't let tenants know about this program and landlord's don't take the money then a judge has the discretion to reduce the monetary judgment in an eviction.


AB 3088 is extended by two proposed laws- AB 80 and SB91. Below are the new pending changes as a result of the extension.

  • Tenants have until June 30, 2021 to pay 25% of rent that accumulated between September 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021.

  • The "Transition Period" is now defined as September 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021.

  • Landlords are required to serve a general notice of the extension on tenants. Specific statutory language is required, including language about the California rent assistance program (80% to forgive 20%). This notice is different from the general notice that was supposed to be served back in September 2020.

  • 15 Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit (Transition Period) served on or after February 1, 2021 has entirely new and different language from the older notice.

  • Localities cannot allow pay back periods further than August 30, 2021, previously it was March 31, 2022.

  • Landlords cannot initiate a small claims matter for back rent until August 1, 2021.

  • Landlords cannot apply the security deposit to any COVID-19 related back rent unless tenant agrees in writing.

  • Attorneys fees awarded to a prevailing party in an unlawful detainer based on COVID-19 rent is limited to $500 for uncontested and $1,000 for contested.

  • If landlord refuses to partake in the rental assistance program (80% to forgive 20%) tenants can seek to be paid the 25% of their back rent that accumulated from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021. This money can be paid to the tenants or landlords.

All landlords know a monetary judgment is not worth the paper it is printed on because collections is a nightmare. So an 80% collection of COVID-19 rent is not the worst deal on the planet. It just is not the best deal. I think the above provisions will be the final ones. I will update this when I know more.


If you have any questions about this blog or other landlord-tenant law questions feel free to reach out to me. You may contact me by phone at (818) 306-0686 or by email at sasha@struthers.legal


Visit my website at struthers.legal and subscribe to my newsletter to get up-to date information on landlord tenant laws. You can also follow me on Twitter and Youtube for landlord tips and law updates.


The information in this post is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this post should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.


  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

314 W. 58th Street, Unit 200

Los Angeles, Ca 90037

Tel: 818.306.0686

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. I invite you to contact me and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting me does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to me until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. 

© 2021 by Sasha Struthers.